Today, more vulnerable children are becoming malnourished due to the deteriorating quality of their diets and the multiple shocks created by the COVID-19 pandemic and its containment measures. In 2020, UNICEF and its partners tipped that an additional 6.7 million children over the edge to become wasted during its first year, as a result of the pandemic. In the recent years, we have been mobilizing our partners including members of the GNRC to ensure that all children have access to safe, nutritious and adequate food, all year round. This way, key drivers and root causes of poverty, that is, hunger and malnutrition – can be effectively tackled. The programme is currently active in Colombia, Cuba, Kenya, Mexico and Peru.
In commemorating this 10th anniversary with us, you too can take action towards alleviating malnutrition in children:
- Donate food for 10 children or 10 schools for the school feeding programme or start a feeding programme for 10 vulnerable families.
- Invite faith leaders in your community to organise (intrafaith or interfaith) prayer for children affected by hunger.
- Write to your local leaders or government representatives about the state of children’s malnutrition & hunger in your community and ask them to take actions against child malnutrition.
- Organise community mapping to identify number of children are affected by malnutrition & hunger in your community.
- Join our social media campaign by sharing posts on social media with information and facts about tackling child malnutrition & hunger . You can use our media kit for some messages and visual elements on the same.
- Join us to mark the World Food Day on October 16th, and the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty on October 17th, and use this to communicate about the need to end hunger and malnutrition in children.
- Donate $10 towards supporting our Meals-for-schools initiative; where we support our partners to provide nutritious school meals to children.
- Tell us what you’ll be doing to help feed children or Pledge any other action you aim to undertake your community. Post this in our ECP@10 Pledge and inspire others with your action as well.
- Tell your friends about the ECP@10 Campaign and the action(s) your taking. Invite them to join you as well